Responding in Class
TurningTechnologies has several helpful guides and manuals.
TurningPoint - overview of the Competition Options
Acuity Resources for teachers
TurningPoint offers two templates for creating your own audience response trivia games, based on actual game shows - “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” and “Jeopardy”.
In the “Jeopardy”-like Trivia Game:
- A trivia board reveals 5 categories with 5 questions per category with values ranging from 100 to 500 points
- Team captains or representatives take turns selecting questions (“I’ll take Anatomy for 200”)
- Points are awarded for correct answers
- “Fastest Finger” can be used to determine which individual or team was first to answer correctly
- 25 questions total – game lasts approximately 30 minutes
Step 1: Open TurningPoint
Step 2: Open the Jeopardy_Template.ppt file (see download link below)
Step 3: If you prefer, you can change both the number of teams, and the names of each team.
- To change the number of teams, add or delete a line
- To change the name of a team, replace “Team #” with a name.
Step 4: Now it’s time to customize the categories:
- Click on any of the category names to edit it.
- Type your new category - It’s helpful to remember what you are replacing. For example, if you replace the template’s “Music” category with “Anatomy” you’ll need to type “Anatomy” anywhere you see “Music” throughout the presentation.
- Replace the examples or prompts with your own material.
- Don’t forget to change the category names to match the big board
- Right click on “Scores”
- Click “Action Settings”
- Select the appropriate slide under “Hyperlink to:”
- You may also use these steps to fix other broken hyperlinks in your presentation.